4/29/2010 11:16:28 AM
4/29/2010 11:16:27 AM
City of Seward Legislative Hist
Doc Type - Legislative History
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
Sponsored by: Luther <br /> City of Seward, Alaska <br /> Historic Preservation Commission <br /> Resolution 2010 -03 <br /> A RESOLUTION OF THE SEWARD HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION, <br /> SUPPORTING THE SACRED HEART PARISH IN CELEBRATION OF ITS <br /> CENTENNIAL <br /> WHEREAS, in the summer of 1905 Reverend Phillip Turnell, S.J. and Reverend John M. <br /> Handly C.S.P. started the mission in a tent chapel preaching to Catholics and non- <br /> Catholics alike; and <br /> WHEREAS: in 1910 Father Matthias Schmidt, S. J. along with members of the parish <br /> built the original Sacred Heart Church and rectory on a lot donated by John E. Ballaine, <br /> the town's founder; and <br /> WHEREAS: in 1916 one of the first hospitals in Seward was built by the Catholic <br /> Church, the St. Francis Xavier Hospital, better known as the Seward General Hospital <br /> and was staffed by Catholic nuns from the Alaska Mission of the Sisters of St. Joseph; <br /> and <br /> WHEREAS: over the years often without a resident priest the members of Sacred Heart <br /> Parish have continued to worship and grow even during the Depression years and the <br /> hard times in the 1970's: and <br /> WHEREAS: plans to build a new church on the site of the St. Francis Xavier Hospital <br /> were accelerated in the aftermath of the 1964 Good Friday earthquake which damaged <br /> the original church and rectory beyond repair; and <br /> WHEREAS: during construction the parish members worshiped in the Liberty Theater <br /> and assisted in the building of the new church; and <br /> WHEREAS: since the opening of Spring Creek Correctional Center resident priests have <br /> expanded their ministry to the prisoners housed there: and <br /> WHEREAS: the parishioners of Sacred Heart Parish have been an example of Christian <br /> values with works of charity for those in our community; and <br /> WHEREAS: Sacred Heart Parish is celebrating its history and encouraging understanding <br /> and appreciation of its place in Seward; and <br /> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Seward Historic Preservation <br /> Commission that: <br /> how <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.